
Aryna Sabalenka delivered a cheeky message to boyfriend Georgios Frangulis following a romantic proposal that unfolded during her third-round triumph over Leylah Fernandez at the US Open. Under the dazzling lights of Louis Armstrong Stadium on Friday evening, the reigning champion maintained her quest for back-to-back titles in commanding fashion.
The world No 1 was forced to battle through a challenging second-set tie-break but ultimately prevailed 6-3 7-6 (2) against Fernandez. Sabalenka, who has recently opened up about her romance with entrepreneur and motorcycle enthusiast Frangulis, proved too formidable for the talented Canadian and got sweet revenge for her heartbreaking defeat in New York four years prior.
Yet despite her victory, the Belarusian may not have been the most elated woman inside the venue. During the midst of her clash with Fernandez, a couple in the stands became engaged.
The gentleman dropped to one knee and left his partner utterly speechless as she dissolved into tears before accepting his proposal. Sabalenka witnessed the touching scene, which sparked thunderous applause throughout the arena.
She later confessed that whilst it marked the first occasion such an event had occurred during one of her matches, she attempted to block it out to maintain her concentration.
"I think it's the first time that someone proposed during my match," said Sabalenka.
"It was a very sweet moment, but I was just trying not to start smiling, because it's very cute and I believe they're super happy right now.
"I was just trying to keep focusing on my game, and it was great moment, and as I said on court, I wish them happy marriage."
Sabalenka made it clear that she wouldn't want a similar proposal, yet cheekily hinted at her boyfriend Frangulis. "I don't want this kind of proposal, but I looked at my boyfriend," she added with a playful grin. "Yeah, no pressure."
In the end, the 27-year-old proved too powerful for Fernandez, having previously lost to the 2021 finalist four years prior. She is still hoping to become the first woman since Serena Williams in 2014 to clinch back-to-back titles in New York.
Sabalenka recognised her remarkable record in tiebreaks in 2025. When questioned if she thinks opponents are conscious of her tiebreak dominance, she responded: "I hope so.
"I'm not focusing on that during the match, obviously, but extra pressure on my opponents, I love that.
"Sometimes during the set I'm doubting my decisions, and when I get to the tiebreak I know that there is no time for doubts and I just have to go for my shots and I have to trust my game.
"I'm just reminding myself that I have to trust, I have a pretty good feeling, I know what to do on court, and I'm trying to stick to the plan of the game, and trying to stay aggressive and put as much pressure as I can on my opponent."
Sabalenka will continue her US Open campaign in the fourth round against Cristina Bucsa on Sunday.
To be the first to receive the latest tennis news, join our WhatsApp community or newsletter.
You may also like
Alan Shearer names missing Liverpool transfer that could seal Premier League title
Need to thwart Centre's attempt to change Constitution: Telangana CM Revanth Reddy
Indore Talent Lends Script Brilliance To 'Ghich Pich'
Misfits Boxing 22 LIVE results: Darren Till vs Luke Rockhold and Tony Ferguson vs Salt Papi
Newcastle fans let Alexander Isak know what they think with chants at Leeds